Lodging in the final frontier.

I love a room with a view, and you can't beat the 360 views from a room at the futuristic Galactic Suite. Well, actually it's not too futuristic -- it's scheduled to open in 2012. Nor are the views really 360 -- you know, infinite blackness and all. But if you book a planetview suite (I'm just guessing on the terminology here), you'll get a nice view of the earth's curvature. I don't know if they'll give out free upgrades to honeymooners or loyalty program members, but I'd assume that a room without a view is basically as good as locking yourself in a dark closet.

Rack rates are $4 million for tropical-island training and a three-day stay in space. (Yep, minimum stays are strictly enforced.) But let's be honest. I don't foresee the earth's orbit becoming the new Bondi Beach. Once the billionaires and celebrities are over it, I anticipate plenty of empty rooms. Hello, Priceline!

On the downside, I bet the continental breakfast sucks.

No comments: