$1,000 or Less: South Beach

The sweltering weather today is reminding me of my long weekend in South Beach, a trip I can only look back on in memories...namely because the film in my disposable camera melted from the heat while I was on the beach.

SoBe has a reputation as a swanky paradise teeming with celebs, but let's be honest: It's really just a Florida beach. And that means it's budgetastic, as long as you don't feel the need to lodge at the Delano with all the other star-chasers. Here's the itinerary for a long weekend of indulgence:

NYC to MIA: $150 (Northwest and American usually have the lowets fares for this route)

HOTEL: Stay 4 nights at the Clinton Hotel ($132/night for a queen), a boutique hotel on 8th and Washington. Translation: Two blocks from the beach, but right near the clubs. The staff is friendly, the bar is chill, and there's even a pool -- a SoBe rarity. Crank the A/C, snuggle up in the down comforter, and forget it was 110 degrees on the sand.

EAT: Grab any meal you can at News Cafe, where Versace used to dine almost daily. It's one of the best food values in the area, with the absolute perfect people-watching location. My faves are the ham and brie panini ($11.50) and the salty, salty, salty margarita ($7.50...I think). Also try Pizza Rustica on 863 Washington.

DO: Sleep on the beach all day (free). Party all night at Opium, B.E.D., Mansion or Prive ($20 each for cover). If you have time in the middle, head for the stores -- there's a reason I left a little breathing room in the budget, you know.

TOTAL: $777.

No comments: